Checking in from Mt. Pleasant, NC …
Rains shortened my walks today, but I do hope to make it to uptown Charlotte tomorrow (Sunday). Several old and new friends have expressed interest in either walking or just stopping by to say hello to Brenda and me. Here’s how I hope the day will go, again if the rain clouds cooperate:
• My morning walk will begin about 4 miles east of Harrisburg and continue to the vicinity of N. Tryon Street and Eastway.
• We’ll move the RV from Mt. Pleasant to Gastonia midday.
• The afternoon portion of the walk will begin around 4:00 and continue down Tryon to Trade. It looks like a good meeting point is at the intersection of N. Tryon and W. Tenth where I should arrive around 5:00-5:15. Should be plenty of parking on a Sunday afternoon at the City-County Government Complex.
• We can walk together to Trade where I’ll turn west and make my way over to the intersection of W. Morehead and Wilkinson Blvd. (Google maps plots a very convoluted path for this part; maybe someone can provide local knowledge and guidance).
• Depending on time and energy remaining, I may walk a little further out Wilkinson (Hwy 29) toward Gastonia.
Since we missed a blog yesterday, here’s a brief recap of the last two days. On Friday, I had a single walk of about 17 miles from the Farmer Community to just west of Richfield. Weather and scenery were beautiful. Saw lots of folks playing hooky and going fishing including young men in a boat on a very small pond. In the afternoon, Brenda and I drove back to Cary, NC to see our granddaughter in a play at Mills Park Middle School. To quote our thespian, the performance was “awesome.” We then drove the 80 miles back to the RV where I stayed up to 1:00AM watching the Wolfpack lose a close one in the Sweet Sixteen to Kansas. So now it’s time to pull for the ACC and Carolina.
Today, Saturday, was tough. In between and sometimes in hard rain showers, we moved the RV to Mt. Pleasant where the good folks at Cabarrus Bank and Trust are letting us park for the night. Then I managed a two part walk of over 20 miles on Hwy 49 where crazy drivers forced me onto the wet shoulders for much of the walk. Finally, a thunderstorm forced me to abort the walk a little early east of Harrisburg. Only got a brief chance to look around Mt. Pleasant, but it seems to be a comfortable little town with some beautiful antebellum homes.
And now it’s on to the Queen City. Really hope to see many of you as I journey through Mecklenburg County. Your interest and support have been so encouraging.
Here’s a projected schedule for the next few days (as always, weather and health permitting):
Sunday, March 25 … down Hwy 49 (N. Tryon St) to Uptown Charlotte;
Monday, March 26 … west on Wilkinson Blvd (Hwy 29) to Gastonia;
Tuesday, March 27 … thru Kings Mountain on Hwy 29 to the SC border at Grover, NC
Wednesday, March 28 … still on Hwy 29 ending somewhere near the big peach in Gaffney, SC
PS…Thanks for all the birthday wishes.